Yay, it’s the weekend, time to have fun! But wait, I’m on a cleanse. What can we do over the next weekends to stay away from the temptations of alcohol, coffee, alcohol, dairy, alcohol, non-cleanse friendly foods, and alcohol? Sounds like I’m staying in!
For some of us this weekend is going to be the real test. Let’s face it, most social events revolve around drinking. Many of us have rarely been in a situation where we’re not partaking in the exercise of raising mugs or wine glasses to our own lips-even if only in sips of complete moderation. It may take courage for us to believe we’ll continue to be fun and exciting without the loosening effects of alcohol. This can be uncomfortable. If we have committed to The Community Cleanse, we can’t allow ourselves to fail without even trying to get to know ourselves in social situations without alcohol. Maybe, I’m speaking for myself here, but it can be a real struggle to hang out with the same friends and family in homes, out at bars, in restaurants, or at wine events. It’s not the fact that they’re drinking, it’s that we’re not drinking. So, if any of this rings true for you, here are some tricks to make it through the weekends:
- Give yourself a chance to interact without alcohol or any other usual, habitual non-cleanse friendly substance or food.
- Go out!!! Go for coffee, but have an herbal tea. Go out for a drink, but have Perrier.
- Tell restaurant servers you are looking for meals without sugar, dairy, and white flour.
- Tell your friends and family, prior to going over for a meal, that you are on a cleanse and offer to bring a contributing dish that’s cleanse friendly.
- At home or other people’s houses, drink bubbly water with POM-pomegranate juice in a wine glass or martini glass. It’s delicious and pomegranates are super high in antioxidants. This will make you feel like you’re drinking too. It’s amazing how much of the discomfort comes from us not feeling like we’re a part of the group.
- All bars have options. When out, drink pineapple juice, bubbly water with lime, soda water with lemon, pure grapefruit juice, or orange juice.
Happy weekend cleansers! I have to go and get ready for the wine event I’m going to this afternoon. I think I’ll have a Perrier and POM martini to “loosen” me up before I head out.