My friend Ann brought this soup to The Community Cleanse potluck we had in November and since then I’ve made this soup many times. The recipe is from Simply Recipes (with only a few very minor alterations). Last night I had the Butternut Squash Apple Soup for dinner with the Vegetable Brown Rice Couscous Salad. Happy cleansing!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH APPLE SOUP
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped (squash and apple should be at 3 to 1 ratio).
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian) – check all labels for sugar. “Imagine” Free Range Chicken Broth does not have added cane sugar.
- Pinches of cinnamon, all spice, salt and pepper
Combine butter (or olive oil), onion, celery, and carrot in large saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes. Add squash, apple and broth. Bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is soft. Puree. Add spices to taste.
Serves 4-6. Enjoy!