I made this delicious soup last night. It would be great to add to the menu for American Thanksgiving or as a heart-warming fall soup. I’m so thankful to celebrate two Thanksgivings every year—Canadian and now American. I believe Thanksgiving is one of those holidays best celebrated every day of the year … without the indulgences.
Happy Thanksgiving, Healthy Junkies! May we all find plenty to be grateful for today and every day!
Sweet Potato Soup
Serves 8-10 (bowls)
- 2 tbps butter (or olive oil)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 10 carrots (chopped)
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (chopped)
- 8 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock – or less depending on desired consistency
- Pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt and pepper
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook onions, celery and carrots for 5 minutes in butter
- Add sweet potatoes and vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add spices.
- Blend using a food processor or blender.
- Mix olive oil and sea salt (to taste) into pumpkin seeds
- Roast pumpkin seeds in toaster oven or oven at 450 F
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top of soup in each individual bowl when ready to serve.